Welcome to the Training Section. This section contains information related to initial training for municipal police officers, in-service training for certified police officers, and other topics related to training municipal police officers in Pennsylvania.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: While all officers are still required by regulation to receive 12 hours of in-service training each year, not all MPOETC courses are mandatory. More information can be found by following the In-Service Police Officer Training link to the left.
Basic Police Officer Training
- This area contains information about Basic Municipal Police Officer training including an overview of the syllabus, physical fitness requirements, information about partial training waivers, and links to Certified Municipal Police Academies.
In-Service Police Officer Training
- This area contains information about academic in-service training requirements for all certified officers including descriptions of the courses developed by MPOETC each year and a link to the Continuing Law Enforcement Education page.
For information on MPOETC online courses, please call 717-540-1348. For technical support regarding the PAVTN, please email
Mr. Chris Braun
- This page contains information about reimbursement of training costs, including a list of reimbursable classes and application processes.
- This page contains information about annual firearms qualification requirements, recommended courses of fire, and firearms instructor information.
Pennsylvania State Police Academy Training
section contains information about PSP Academy classes that are available for municipal police officers.
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
- An external page that contains information about FLETC classes available for municipal police officers. Search by state (PA) to see courses that are offered locally. Search by course title to find specific courses.