37 Pa. Code §221.33
establishes requirements for the Sheriff related to background checks for retired law enforcement officers. The Sheriff must:
- Confirm and photocopy the retired law enforcement identification card and a second form of official/governmental photographic identification.
- Collect an administrative fee not to exceed $5.00 from the retired law enforcement officer in the form of a money order or certified check payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Request a criminal history check similar to 18 Pa. C.S. §6109 (d)(5) through the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Records and Identification.
- Record the Confirmation Number (unique approval number) assigned by the Pennsylvania State Police on the qualification card. Sign and issue the qualification card to the retired officer.
- Annotate the confirmation number on the Confirmation (Unique Number) Log and submit the log to MPOETC within 30 days.
- Submit all fees collected and any confiscated or expired qualification cards to MPOETC.
- Maintain all records related to issued confirmation numbers for one year.
- Sign a replacement qualification card using the original confirmation number assigned to the retired law enforcement officer at the time of issuance.